Father pleads guilty to child pornography on front porch
A man has pleaded guilty to possessing indecent images of a child on his front porch.
The 51-year-old was charged after he was caught by the FBI at his home in the Sydney suburb of Tyneside.
The man was not identified.
He faces up to seven years in prison when he is sentenced on April 26.
The man was taken into custody in November 2016 and police were alerted to the images.
The images were allegedly taken from a smartphone.
He was released from custody on a promise to appear in court in February.
In March this year, the man pleaded guilty and received a four-year suspended sentence.
He had been in custody since October this year.
The magistrate had previously ordered the man to pay a $10,000 fine.
“The defendant has taken the position that the images are not of a sexual nature but instead of a photograph of a young girl,” Magistrate Andrew Gage said in his sentencing order.
Magistrate Gage told the man that his behaviour was “reckless and unacceptable” and said that “no reasonable person would have taken those images”.
The magistrate said that the man had been “brought to the attention of the police by the media”, but that the court had not been made aware of his criminal history.
A lawyer for the man said he would fight the charges.
‘The message that they’re sending is they’re going to prosecute people and that’s how they get people’s attention.
That’s how you get a lot of young people to come to the police,’ Mr Jones said.
He said the man was “brave” and had “no choice” but to plead guilty.
Last month, the ABC revealed that an investigation into the use of social media to capture child exploitation images in Sydney’s inner west was closed.